The absolute finest knotty cedar decking available
New for summer 2015 and exclusive to Silva Timber is this exceptional Western Red Cedar decking known as Cedardeck Select. This beautiful cedar decking offers a slightly better quality than our standard Cedardeck. It is kiln-dried with a smooth dressed surface.
The quality of the raw material is top-notch and the fact that it is kiln dried enables it to be machined with a more consistent surface dressing. Tighter grading of Cedardeck Select virtually eliminates soft knots that are occasionally present in Cedardeck. Also, less wane is exhibited on the reverse of the board than standard Cedardeck making this product more suited to applications where all sides of the board are visible - e.g. pergola rafters or handrail.
Overall Cedardeck Select offers a slight upgrade to Cedardeck - which is already a high quality Western Red Cedar decking product. The differences are subtle, but noticeable to discerning customer.
When it comes to decking there is no better material than Western Red Cedar
In addition to its stunning beauty, distinct aroma, limitless versatility and light environmental footprint, Western Red Cedar has a set of natural attributes that make it the perfect material for constructing decks and other outdoor living projects.
- Twice the stability of most commonly available wood species
- Compared to other wood species, Western Red Cedar does not shrink, swell or warp excessively, even when subjected to changes in temperature or moisture
- Lies flat, stays straight and holds fasteners tightly
- Produces long, lightweight lengths
- Fine grain with uniform textures make it easy to cut, saw and nail with common tools
- Free from pitch and resin so readily accepts wide range of wood finishes
Natural Decay Resistance
- One for the world's most durable commercially available wood species
- Lasts for decades, even in harsh environments
- Natural resistance to moisture, decay and insect damage
Cedardeck Select is thick
At 40mm, this is thicker than most decking available in the UK. The extra thickness provides a number of advantages:
Fewer Joists - Joists can be spaced at 600mm centres rather than the usual 400mm, resulting in using fewer joists to construct the frame - saving both time and money
Fewer Screws - Fewer joists means far fewer screws to insert, again saving time and money, and resulting in a cleaner looking deck
Solid structure - The added thickness will make your deck feel satisfyingly solid and sturdy underfoot