Frequently Asked Questions - Owatrol Net-trol

Q:
What is in Owatrol Net-trol?

A:

Owatrol Net-trol is a detergent type cleaner containing oxalic acid. In its undiluted state, it has about 8-10% oxalic acid.

 


 

Q:
Will Owatrol Net-trol remove paints and pigmented stains?

A:
Owatrol Net-trol is not a stripper and will not remove any finish that is in sound condition.

 


 

Q:
WIll Owatrol Net-trol harm the asphalt or fibreglass on my roof? WIl it stain my concrete or brick?

A:
Owatrol Net-trol will not damage these surfaces, but since oxalic acid does have a bleaching effect, it may produce lighter areas on some surfaces. One way to minimise this is to wet the adjacent surface before, during and after using Owatrol Net-trol.

 


 

Q:
WIll Owatrol Net-trol bring a natural colour back to all wood?

A:
Yes, except for pressure treated wood or if the discolouration is from some treatment or finish used in the past that permanently discoloured it. In some cases, you may have to use a stronger solution and allow it to remain on the surface longer. Owatrol Net-trol will not bring back a natural colour to pressure treated wood because its natural colours were lost when it was treated.

 


 

Q:
Will Owatrol Net-trol kill mildew?

A:
No, use a 50/50 solution of bleach and water to kill the mildew. Follow with an application of Owatrol Net-trol to neutralise the bleach, clean the wood and restore the natural colour.

 


 

Q:
Where can Owatrol Net-trol be used?

A:
Owatrol Net-trol is versatile enough to clean pressure treated wood, cedar, redwood, log homes, wood fences, aluminium and vinyl siding, fibreglass, stone, concrete, rust stains and more.

 


 

Q:
Can you mix Owatrol Net-trol with bleach?

A:
Never mix Owatrol Net-trol with bleach, this creates toxic fumes.

 


 

Q:
Is Owatrol Net-trol harmful to plants or shrubs?

A:
No, Owatrol Net-trol is mild and will not harm plants or shrubbery, however it may cause some 'burn' marks on foliage.

 


 

Q:
What advantage does Owatrol Net-trol have over bleach-based deck cleaners or household bleach?

A:
Such products will damage the cell structure of the wood. They break down the binder (lignin) which holds the wood cells together, creating a soft, spongy surface that weathers more quickly and has an adverse effect on the appearance of natural finishes. Owatrol Net-trol will not remove the natural colour of the wood while bleach and bleach-based cleaners will. Many of the less expensive deck cleaners are a mix of bleach and detergent, always check the ingredients.

 


 

Q:
Can Owatrol Net-trol be put through powerwash equipment?

A:
Yes, the best way is to apply at a low pressure using the Venturi injection tube. Allow to sit on the wood, then powerwash off with the pressure set at 500 - 700 psi. Venturi injectors reduce the Owatrol Net-trol to a 1:10 ration, so it will not be as effective as when applying in a 1:4 mix. Rinse equipment thoroughly after use.

 


 


Q:
Can Owatrol Net-trol be applied with a garden type sprayer?

A:
Yes, but you must ensure it is not over diluted in the mixing process. When using a garden sprayer it is best applied diluted, up to a maximum of 1:4 with water. Rinse equipment thoroughly after use.

 


 

Q:
Will Owatrol Net-trol remove nail stains?

A:
Yes, apply Owatrol Net-trol to the entire surface around the nail stains, then rinse thoroughly. After the wood is dry, counter-sink and putty all nails to be sure stains will not return.

 


 

Q:
How do I know what dilution to use?

A:
Owatrol Net-trol can be used neat or diluted up to a maximum of 1:4 with clean water. Dilution is very much dependent on the condition of the surface you are cleaning and what you are trying to clean. The best way is to test a small area first using the maximum dilution (1:4) and work backwards from there until the desired result is achieved.

 


 

Q:
What are the crystals in Owatrol Net-trol?

A:
These are crystallised Oxalic Acid and in no way will affect the performance of Owatrol Net-trol. If the contents have settled to crystals in the bottom and will not mix in easily, pour off the liquid and add a little hot water. Replace the cap, shake, then replace the poured off liquid.