Not all Western Red Cedar Shingles are alike
The premium grade of shingles suitable for high-end wall cladding and roof applications. These top-grade shingles are 100% heartwood, 100% clear and 100% edge grain with no defects. Always specify Certigrade No.1 Blue Label to ensure product quality, correct grading and consistency.
Western Red Cedar shingles offer a fantastic alternative to traditional roof and wall tiles due to their durability, attractive appearance, outstanding insulation properties and ease of installation.
Used for hundreds of years, Western Red Cedar shingles have proven their durability in all kinds of climates. They can be used to create individual buildings, whether traditional or modern, and their rich, warm colour and texture blend beautifully in any natural environment. The natural effects of ageing and weathering give shingles and shakes an attractive silvery grey colour over time.
Suitable for commercial and residential projects alike, shingles and shakes provide an outstanding natural option for roofing and cladding.
- Western Red Cedar shingles breathe, providing an extra degree of ventilation
Low carbon footprint
- Shingles use the lowest energy of any roofing product
- Production emits the lowest pollution of any roofing product
Highest insulation resistance value
- Western Red Cedar shingles have a superior insulating value to other roofing products
- Buildings stay warmer in winter and cooler in summer
- 'R-Value' double that of asphalt, four times that of cement fibre
- 50+ year life expectancy
- Natural oils act as preservatives against decay and insect attack
Resilience against high winds
- Installation method provides outstanding rigidity
- 'Uplift tested' to withstand wind speeds of up to 173mph
- The only renewable roofing resource
- Other roofing produced by permanently extracting natural resources
- World recognised forest stewardship ensures true sustainability
Certigrade™ cedar shingles are produced by cutting blocks from the log to the desired length. Shingles are then taper sawn to size. This type of smooth sawn architecturally uniform cedar shingle is preferred for its natural and tailored appearance and is used on traditional and modern residential and non-residential structures.
Not all cedar shake and shingle products are alike. Certi-label products, manufactured by Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau members, assure you of the highest quality standards. Member mills have committed to consistent quality through independent third-party inspections by accredited agencies. Each bundle of product has the mill's distinctive Certi-label tucked under the bundle strap. Asking for "the blue label" or "number one blue label" is not specific enough. Cedar Bureau members' products are the only ones with the Certi brand name on the label.
For quality assurance, always specify Certigrade Western Red Cedar Shingles. The term “Blue Label ” is a registered trademark of the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau trade association which has over 250 member companies. Be aware that just because a supplier puts a label in a blue colour on its bundles does not mean that it’s on grade or third party inspected. Certigrade Western Red Cedar Shingles are inspected by legitimate, third party agencies, accredited by the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau.
Silva Timber are the only member of the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau outside of North America. The Bureau monitors and inspects member mills to ensure product quality, grading rules and consistency of Certi-Label cedar shingles and shakes are maintained.