The Substrate: Cascadia brand Canadian Western Red Cedar
Cascadia is produced in Canada by Terminal Forest Products (TFP), one of the world’s leading manufacturers of Western Red Cedar products. To produce Cascadia cladding, TFP use only the highest quality second growth live knotted wood fibre, sourced from well managed forests in the coastal regions of British Columbia. It is kiln dried and machined to the highest industry standards in TFP’s state-of-the-art sawmill. Since 2008 Silva has been the exclusive UK distributor for TFP.
The Coating System: Sansin SDF Precision Coat
Since 1986 The Sansin Corporation has been focused on creating the best performing, most beautiful water-borne wood finishes in the world. An innovative research and development program has made Sansin the leader in developing environmentally-friendly alternatives to traditional wood coatings and preservatives. Sansin Enviro Stains are fast becoming the world-wide choice for customers who demand the absolute best in performance and beauty for their homes.
Benefits of SDF Precision Coat
SDF Precision Coat is a tough, effective penetrating stain for wood cladding. It allows the texture of wood surface to show through, giving it a more ‘natural’ look than traditional film-forming finishes which tend to look ‘plasticky’.
SDF Precision Coat has another major advantage over film-forming finishes. When the time comes to apply a maintenance coat, minimal preparation is required. Normally the surface simply requires cleaning before a single top-up coat is applied. Wood surfaces coated with a failed film forming finish usually require stripping and sanding before a fresh coating can be applied.
SAWTEX™ - fine sawn surface texture for better looking and longer lasting coatings
This special surface texture has two benefits:
1. Wood scientists have proved that a textured surface will accept and retain finish significantly better than a smooth planed surface, thus improving appearance and minimising future maintenance. The SAWTEX™ surface enables the coating to penetrate deep into the wood, rather than it just sitting on the surface as it would with a smooth surface. The result is deeper, richer and more consistent colour because more stain is in the wood and the overall level of penetration is more even.
2. The SAWTEX™ surface gives this cladding a beautiful natural appearance that makes the wood grain more visible and exudes a feeling of warmth, adding an extra layer to its appeal.
Western Red Cedar – the Ultimate Outdoor Wood
Western Red Cedar is synonymous with beauty and durability; however, it has a number of natural attributes that make it the ultimate outdoor wood.
- Naturally durable species
- Durability Class 2 (BSEN350:2)
- Proven life expectancy of 60+ years
- Twice the stability of most commonly available wood species
- Does not excessively shrink, swell or warp through changes in moisture or temperature
- Lies flat, stays straight and holds fasteners tightly
- Produces long, lightweight lengths
- Fine grain and uniform texture make it easy to cut, drill, sand, saw and insert screws and nails using common tools
- Readily accepts many types of wood finish due to its lack of pitch and resin
- Natural resistance to moisture, decay and insect damage
- One of the world’s most durable wood species
- Lasts for decades, even in harsh environments
Benefits of factory coated wood cladding
- Factory coating ensures the coating is applied properly and under perfect environmentally controlled conditions
- The factory preparation process ensures deep penetration and superior adhesion which optimises the durability of the coating and extends the maintenance cycle
- All sides of the board are coated and sealed from moisture before the cladding arrives on site
- Factory coated cladding gives the building an instant finished look
- Factory coated cladding can be installed all year round without compromising the quality of the finish
- All sides of the board are coated, making factory coated cladding more dimensionally stable and therefore more resistant to warping, checking and splitting
- Factory coating ensures that the substrate is never exposed to UV or damaging weather conditions
- Factory coated cladding saves time and labour costs
- There are no costly scheduling, weather or seasonal delays when using factory coated cladding
- There is no overspray, dripping, splattering or clean-up problems when using factory coated cladding
- The site is neat, and the project looks finished immediately
- There is no colour variation, lap marks, shrink lines, streaking or dirt pick-up with factory coated cladding
- Factory coated cladding contributes to timely completion of projects
- Factory coated cladding is advantageous in UK climate where applying exterior coatings is normally impossible during the winter