Silva Timber's Western Red Cedar Shingles provide a sustainable solution to West Coast Energy's new £2M eco-office in Mold, Flintshire.
West Coast Energy is in the business of making renewable energy a reality. The company had outgrown its previous office space in Mold and was keen to move to a new building, built using sustainable methods and materials to reflect the corporate ethos.
The building's design must conform to a BREEAM excellence standard (British Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method), the leading and most widely used environmental assessment method for buildings.
A further key requirement was that the timber used in the build should be sourced from local suppliers where possible.
- Read Construction Holdings Ltd (main contractor)
- Stokes Roofing - Sub-contractors (researched suppliers and installed shingles)
- Jig Architects - Specifiers
- Silva Timber Products - Timber supplier (supplied shingles)
West Coast Energy made the decision to use a combination of cladding and shingles to add interest to the external finish of the build. Silva Timber's Western Red Cedar shingles were selected for the job due to their superior quality and competitive price.
West Coast Energy opted for Silva Timber's Western Red Cedar No. 1 Grade (Blue Label) Shingles on the main building:-
- Premium grade shingles for roof and wall cladding
- 100% heartwood, 100% clear and 100% edge grain - no defects
- Natural and tailored appearance
- Suitable for all structures - traditional and contemporary, residential and commercial