Slatted screens with more privacy and natural light penetration
Western Red Cedar Rainscreen profiled boards are usually installed horizontally to accentuate the length of the structure. When used in garden design this creates the illusion that the space is longer or wider than it is in reality.
Known as ‘Rainscreen’, this profile is the shape of a parallelogram with its two sides at opposing angles. It is installed with a narrow gap between adjacent boards to allow a small amount of light and air to filter through. A Rainscreen fence is perfect for situations where the open airy feel of a slatted screen (rather than a solid board fence) is required, but also where a level of privacy is needed - you cannot see through a Rainscreen fence when looking directly at it. Also, an open slatted fence offers more protection against the wind than a solid fence as it is dispersed rather than forced up and over.
Use Western Red Cedar slatted screening from Silva to transform an outdoor space
- Create surfaces with ever changing patterns of light and shadow
- Provides a wonderful backdrop for plants and foliage
- Truly versatile – slats / boards available in a variety of widths and lengths
- Simple installation methods enable the quick and easy transformation of the outdoor space
- Provide privacy without totally blocking out light and air flow
- Open boarded design offers more effective protection against wind than solid fence
- Provides shade without sacrificing all natural light
- Use to define boundaries within a garden – separate relaxation areas, pool areas, refuse / recycling areas etc.
The fact that clear grade Western Red Cedar is used to produce these boards will lend the project a clean contemporary feel and a level of quality that cannot be achieved with other materials. Furthermore, the reason Western Red Cedar is more suited to this application than any other wood species is the fact that it possesses outstanding dimensional stability. This means that movement in service is kept to an absolute minimum, so the structure will maintain the crisp straight lines necessary to maintain the clean contemporary appearance of a Rainscreen fence.
The raw material used to produce Silva’s rainscreen boards is fine grained coastal grown Western Red Cedar that has been kiln dried at source to a moisture content of 12 -15%. This is important for a number of reasons (see document for further information) but the main advantages are that it doesn’t need acclimatisation on site prior to installation and it can be finished immediately so it is protected from the outset. Green or inconsistently air dried wood will shrink after installation causing gaps to widen and may initially be too wet to accept a finish.
For high quality contemporary slatted screens Silva’s clear Western Red Cedar makes perfect sense:
- Highly durable and long lasting
- Exceptional dimensional stability means boards remain flat and straight
- Clear grade Western Red Cedar offers unrivalled beauty
- Being light in weight, cedar is easy to handle on site, cut and work with, reducing build time
- Attractive fine grain and warm colour tones
- A proven performer in all types of climate – a natural product you can rely upon